Monday, June 21, 2010

From the hustle and bustle to the horse drawn carriage life - I'm in farm heaven!

I can't stop laughing from Emily's blog tonight - she is so dang funny.....My rib cage is killing me from laughter - what fun this has been.....

We spent last night in Philadelphia, and to my surprise, it was a beautiful city as well.  There is no way we could see all the things there was to see in such a short time (we have so many places we want to go) so we opted for a "Walking Tour through Philadelphia" and it was great.  Our tour guide was dressed up like Ben Franklin and he lead us through all the historical parts of downtown Philly that we wanted to see.  It was a great way to learn about the history of this beautiful area.  A few things we saw along the way: Independence Hall - The building where the founding fathers of our country signed the Declaration of Independence and where the 2nd Continental Congress met, also where George Washington was inaugurated for his second term as President.  We saw Betsy Ross' house (darling), The Liberty Bell, Benjamin Franklin's home, printing office, the first post office in the United States which is still operating (we mailed Jared a postcard from there and it has a special postmark - B Free Franklin - the oldest continually occupied neighborhood street in America - Dolly Madison's house, Ben Franklin's gravesite, (I'm in love with Ben - I'll be reading more about this remarkable American when I get home  - LOL), and the list goes on and on - it is an incredible city.  We also went to the Reading Station Market which is the old train station that is now a market and it was filled with shops, restaurants, grocers, vegetable stands, etc. It was awesome.

We left Philadelphia to head for "Amish Country" - something I've wanted to see for many, many years. There cult(ure) is so interesting to me and I'm just tickled to be here amongst them (my people, as Em says).  You would not believe the size of these farms and the beauty of them.  They go on for miles and miles and have the most wonderful farm houses on them, beautiful crops (the hotel clerk told us it is because they put all the horse manure back in the dirt each year) and the biggest barns and silos I've ever seen - It is just something to see.  We saw horse and buggies on the streets (as Em so eloquently described my reaction to this) and I can't wait till tomorrow - we ran out of daylight tonight and the Amish go to bed early, cause they don't have lights and so they go to bed at dark and get up when the sun comes up to work their farms.  Tomorrow will be one of my favorite days of our trip.  And you can believe I'll be taking tons of pictures and I can assure you that I will find a cooperating Amish family to photograph.  I'll have an Amish pen pal before dark.  I'll also have a bag full of Amish crafts and the like and Em will be getting a Amish "surprise" for Christmas, cause she's been talking bad about my people.

It is 2:30 in the morning.  I must retire. The Amish farmers will be up in 3 hours and I have a busy day planned.

Can't wait to tell you all about my day in Lancanster County, Pennsylvania - home of the Amish.  Whoop Whoop!

Night!
Jenny

I ate the best meal there last night - the mac and cheese had lobster in it - it was divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment